Monday, February 6, 2012

Calories CRUNCHED!

Well it's February already. The first Monday in Febraury, in fact. Which means last night was the Super Bowl.
I'm not sure what my readers (if I have any, lol!) would have normally done during the super bowl. Personally I've only been to two parties. One was in college at Steve and Aaron's house, and I recall eating oodles of "bad" food that night. I remember M&M's and Bugles for sure. I think there may have been pizza. I'm not sure.
The other was when I worked in the group home. I took two of the ladies to a Super Bowl party at my apartment complex, "Loser Heights". The Bears were playing so Dave and I wanted to actually watch the game. We had cupcakes I remember. I'm not sure what else we ate that day, but I'm sure either frozen pizza or fast food were involved. We left at halftime so the ladies could get to bed "on time" and so I could leave since my shift was over, but I'm sure we ate plenty of chips and cheese dip and cupcakes in the short time we were at the party.

Last night I found out that the average Super Bowl viewer eats over 4000 calories during the game. This sounds nuts to me, but I suppose if you sit and eat for three hours straight it will easily add up to that. Especially since the typical foods are chips and dips, chili (not the healthy kind I make), pizza, wings, beer, beer, and beer. I could easily drink over 1000 calories of Blue Moon (250 calories per bottle) during a football game. Add some brownies and chips and a half a pizza to that and you've hit the 4000 average easily.
Well this year we decided to do things differently. Square1Club hosted a "Big Game Calorie Crunch!" We set all the cardio equipment around the tv, turned on the game, and got to work. Each station had a sign with the amount of calories a 240 pound person would burn doing that activity for two minutes. We tracked our time at each station and wrote down our calories burned, and Kevin added them all up at the end.
As a group we burned over 23,000 calories! I'm so proud of our group.
I had the third highest total, with 2264. I'm super proud of that!

So not only did we not eat "bad" food during the game (our "refueling station" was stocked with protein bars, fruit, veggies and humus, pistachios, and plenty of water) but we also burned a ton of calories. I love what Marty is doing for our group. We're really making a community and a lifestyle that's so much healthier than we've ever thought we could be. It's awesome. :)

1 comment: