Monday, February 6, 2012

Free at last!

New year’s resolutions aren’t normally something I “believe” in. They don’t usually stick. And the people who invade gyms/weightwatcher meetings at the start of the year were always a nuisance, the lines were always long and everywhere was crowded. But this year I’ve actually made one that STUCK!
We’re now in February so I think I can confidently say that this particular resolution is for the long term. On December 31st, 2011 I had my last donut. I won’t pretend it was my last donut EVER, but I am determined to go the entire year without a single donut. 366 days since this is a leap year.
I will admit, I am still tempted. I have to see donuts everywhere I go! Krispy Kreme has their stupid “Hot Now!” sign. The cafeteria here has a pile of donuts tempting me five mornings a week. They LOOK good. But I’ve been telling myself, they don’t make me FEEL good. They are not fuel. They are simply wasted calories, and I’m hungry again five minutes later after I have one (or two…or three).
The thought of a donut now isn’t nearly as appealing as it was a month ago. And that’s awesome! It really does get easier as time goes by.
So, on Friday I decided to go one step further. I am now giving up popcorn balls. The pretty colored marshmallow popcorn balls from Vick’s that they sell in the cafeteria here. They’re so tempting with their bright colors and cheap price tag. But, like the donuts, they do nothing for me. They are not “fuel” for my body. They are empty calories. And not just that, but they make my jaw hurt from all the chewing and chewing and chewing! So they don’t do anything for me, they HURT me, and they set me back in my weightloss. It should be a no brainer to get rid of them.
Unfortunately it’s not so easy. I have a serious popcorn ball addiction! They’re all I’ve thought about this afternoon. Luckily, the cafeteria just closed, so even if I decided to give in I could get one right now. So, this being the first really tempting day, I’ve made it through. I know it’ll get easier after this. This week will be hard. I’ll have hard times, hard days. But I can do it!
I have been popcorn ball free since February 4th, 2012. On December 31st, 2012 I will be 332 days popcorn ball free.
Perhaps in another month I’ll give up another vice. We’ll see!

1 comment: